Current:Home > ScamsElon Musk says doubt about spam accounts could doom Twitter deal -ProfitSphere Academy
Elon Musk says doubt about spam accounts could doom Twitter deal
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 07:39:20
LONDON — Tesla CEO Elon Musk says his deal to buy Twitter can't move forward unless the company shows public proof that less than 5% of the accounts on the social media platform are fake or spam.
Musk made the comment in a reply to another user on Twitter early Tuesday. He spent much of the previous day in a back-and-forth with Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal, who posted a series of tweets explaining his company's effort to fight bots and how it has consistently estimated that less than 5% of Twitter accounts are fake.
In his tweet Tuesday, Musk said that "20% fake/spam accounts, while 4 times what Twitter claims, could be much higher. My offer was based on Twitter's SEC filings being accurate."
He added: "Yesterday, Twitter's CEO publicly refused to show proof of 5%. This deal cannot move forward until he does."
Twitter declined to comment.
It's Musk's latest salvo over inauthentic accounts, a problem he has said he wants to rid Twitter of.
At a Miami technology conference Monday, Musk estimated that at least 20% of Twitter's 229 million accounts are spam bots, a percentage he said was at the low end of his assessment, according to a Bloomberg News report.
The battle over spam accounts kicked off last week when Musk tweeted that the Twitter deal was on on hold pending confirmation of the company's estimates that they make up less than 5% of total users.
Also at the All In Summit, Musk gave the strongest hint yet that he would like to pay less for Twitter than the $44 billion offer he made last month.
He said a viable deal at a lower price would not be out of the question, according to the report by Bloomberg, which said it viewed a livestream video of the conference posted by a Twitter user.
Musk's comments are likely to bolster theories from analysts that the billionaire either wants out of the deal or to buy the company at a cheaper price. His tweet Tuesday came in reply to one from a Tesla news site speculating that Musk "may be looking for a better Twitter deal as $44 billion seems too high."
"Twitter shares will be under pressure this morning again as the chances of a deal ultimately getting done is not looking good now," Wedbush Securities analyst Dan Ives, who covers both Twitter and Tesla, said in a research note. He estimated that there's "60%+ chance" that Musk ends up walking away from the deal and paying the $1 billion breakup fee.
Musk made the offer to buy Twitter for $54.20 per share on April 14. Twitter shares have slid since then and are now down by just over 8%, to close at $37.39 on Monday.
To finance the acquisition, Musk pledged some of his Tesla shares, which have slumped by about a third since the deal was announced.
veryGood! (165)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- CBS News Biden-Trump poll finds concerns about Biden finishing a second term, and voters' finances also weigh on Biden
- Military searching for F-35 fighter jet after mishap prompts pilot to eject over North Charleston, S.C.
- Los Angeles police officer shot and killed in patrol car outside sheriff's station
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Italy investigates if acrobatic plane struck birds before it crashed, killing a child on the ground
- Billy Miller, 'Young and the Restless,' 'General Hospital' soap star, dies at 43
- Two pilots were killed in a midair collision on the last day of Nevada air races
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- German ambassador’s attendance at Israeli court hearing ignites diplomatic spat
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- What Detroit automakers have to give the UAW to get a deal, according to experts
- Australia tells dating apps to improve safety standards to protect users from sexual violence
- Bachelor Nation's Michael Allio Confirms Breakup With Danielle Maltby
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Horoscopes Today, September 17, 2023
- Indiana attorney general sues hospital system over privacy of Ohio girl who traveled for abortion
- Deal Alert: Commute-Friendly Corkcicle Tumblers Start at Just $15
Recommendation
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Kim Petras surprise releases previously shelved debut album ‘Problematique’
50 Cent reunites with Eminem onstage in Detroit for 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' anniversary tour
5 people shot, including 2 juveniles, in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Police are searching for suspects in a Boston shooting that wounded five Sunday
German ambassador’s attendance at Israeli court hearing ignites diplomatic spat
2 pilots dead after planes crashed at Nevada air racing event, authorities say