Current:Home > FinancePolice killing of an unarmed Nebraska man prompts officers to reconsider no-knock warrants -ProfitSphere Academy
Police killing of an unarmed Nebraska man prompts officers to reconsider no-knock warrants
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 07:05:36
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Police in Nebraska’s largest city have stopped using some no-knock search warrants, at least for now, after an unarmed Black man was killed by an officer while executing a no-knock warrant last month.
Omaha Deputy Police Chief Scott Gray said the use of standard entry no-knock warrants was suspended pending a full review and assessment of best practices, the Omaha World-Herald reported Friday. Gray said the department is unlikely to do away with the practice entirely.
Omaha Police Officer Adam Vail was part of a SWAT team serving the search warrant during a drug and firearms investigation on Aug. 28 when he fired the single shot that killed Cameron Ford, 37. Vail said Ford charged at him without his hands visible.
Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine declined to charge the officer and officers searching the residence later found fentanyl and large amounts of cash and marijuana, authorities said.
But advocates, including the head of the local NAACP chapter, have called for an independent investigation into the shooting, saying Ford should have been taken into custody, not killed. They have also called for police to stop using no-knock warrants in the aftermath of Ford’s death.
“The use of no-knock warrants has too often led to avoidable violence and heart-wrenching loss,” Wayne Brown, president and CEO of the Urban League of Nebraska, said on Saturday. “It is time to reevaluate these tactics and replace them with strategies that prioritize the well-being of both the officer and the residents.”
Gray said there are four main types of no-knock warrants: Standard entry, breach and hold, surround and callout, and takedown and serve. Omaha police mostly use standard entry and breach and hold.
In standard entry, officers breach a door without prior warning and announce their presence once inside. They then search the location. In breach and hold, officers breach a door and stay in an entryway while issuing verbal commands instead of actively searching.
The surround and callout method involves officers surrounding a location and commanding a subject to come outside. Takedown and serve entails arresting a subject at a separate location prior to executing a search warrant. Both are used infrequently.
Authorities across the U.S., including the Omaha police department, began reevaluating the use of no-knock warrants in 2020 following global outcry over the police killing of Breonna Taylor in Louisville, Kentucky. The 26-year-old Black EMT was fatally shot by police as officers burst into her home while conducting a narcotics investigation. No drugs were found at her home.
In the wake of Taylor’s killing, Omaha police changed their policy by requiring all no-knock warrants to be reviewed and approved by a captain or deputy chief prior to execution. A SWAT team must also serve all warrants that score over a certain level on a threat assessment.
Gray said threat assessments consider factors such as the subject’s history of violence, mental illness or substance abuse, and their access to weapons. It also takes into account factors like the presence of dangerous dogs or cameras. Each factor is assigned a numerical value.
If the threat assessment score is 25 or higher, the SWAT team is called in to execute the search warrant. Ford scored an 80 on the threat assessment, police said.
veryGood! (97)
Related
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Naomi Osaka says she's returning to pro tennis in 2024
- Florida man riding human-sized hamster wheel in Atlantic Ocean faces federal charges
- Paqui removes 2023 'One Chip Challenge' from store shelves, citing teen use
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- A major Roku layoff is coming. Company will cut 10% of staff, stock spikes as a result
- 'You could be the hero': Fran Drescher tells NPR how the Hollywood strikes can end
- Prince Harry Returns to London for WellChild Awards Ahead of Queen Elizabeth II's Death Anniversary
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Rail operator pleads guilty in Scottish train crash that killed 3 in 2020
Ranking
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Without proper air conditioning, many U.S. schools forced to close amid scorching heat
- Police officer killed, another injured in car crash in Hartford
- Foreign Relations chair seeks answers from US oil firms on Russia business after Ukraine invasion
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Trial date set for Maryland man facing hate crime charges after fatal shooting over parking
- It's so hot at the U.S. Open that one participant is warning that a player is gonna die
- Suspect serial killer arrested in Rwanda after over 10 bodies found in a pit at his home
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Daughters carry on mom's legacy as engine builders for General Motors
Paqui removes 2023 'One Chip Challenge' from store shelves, citing teen use
Accidentally throw away a conversation? Recover deleted messages on your iPhone easily.
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Actor Danny Masterson sentenced to 30 years to life in prison for rape
Congressional watchdog describes border wall harm, says agencies should work together to ease damage
Most federal oversight of Seattle Police Department ends after more than a decade