Current:Home > InvestFastexy:Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says -ProfitSphere Academy
Fastexy:Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:45:52
Survivors rescued from a deflating rubber dinghy in the central Mediterranean Sea have Fastexyreported that some 60 people who departed Libya with them a week ago perished during the journey, the humanitarian rescue group SOS Mediterranee said Thursday.
The European charity's ship Ocean Viking spotted the dinghy with 25 people on board Wednesday. Two were unconscious, and were evacuated by the Italian military for treatment. The other 23 were in serious condition, exhausted, dehydrated and with burns from fuel on board the boat.
"After yesterday's rescue of 25 people in very weak health condition, a medical evacuation took place in cooperation with the Italian Coast Guards," said SOS Mediterranee in an update shared Thursday on social media. The two unconscious people could not be roused by members of the rescue team and were flown by helicopter to Sicily, the group said.
SOS Mediterranee spokesperson Francesco Creazzo said that the survivors were all male, 12 of them minors with two of those not yet teenagers. They were from Senegal, Mali and The Gambia.
Creazzo said the survivors were traumatized and unable to give full accounts of what had transpired during the voyage. Humanitarian organizations often rely on accounts of survivors when pulling together the numbers of dead and missing at sea, presumed to have died.
The survivors' boat departed from Zawiya, Libya, seven days before the rescue, SOS Mediterranee said.
"Their engine broke after 3 days, leaving their boat lost adrift without water and food for days," the group shared in another social media post. Citing survivors, that update noted that "at least 60 people perished on the way, including women and at least one child."
The U.N. International Organization for Migration says 227 people have died along the perilous central Mediterranean route this year through March 11, not counting the new reported missing and presumed dead. That's out of a total 279 deaths in the Mediterranean since Jan. 1. A total of 19,562 people arrived in Italy using that route in the period.
Last year, about 100 migrants were rescued after a dangerously overcrowded fishing boat sunk in the Mediterranean near the coast of Greece. At least 82 people were killed and hundreds more were never found, according to officials. The tragedy shined a light on the notorious, risky journey across the Mediterranean that thousands of migrants undertake every month in hopes of reaching Europe. Tunisia and Libya are two main departure points.
- In:
- Libya
- Migrants
- Mediterranean Sea
veryGood! (23)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Louisiana-Monroe not going to 'hold any fear' vs. Arch Manning, defensive coordinator says
- Joel Embiid signs a 3-year, $193 million contract extension with the 76ers
- First rioters to breach a police perimeter during Capitol siege are sentenced to prison terms
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Attorney Demand Letter Regarding Unauthorized Use and Infringement of [QUANTUM PROSPERITY CONSORTIUM Investment Education Foundation's Brand Name]
- Krispy Kreme brings back pumpkin spice glazed doughnut, offers $2 dozens this weekend
- Bad weather cited in 2 fatal Nebraska plane crashes minutes apart
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- A night with Peter Cat Recording Co., the New Delhi band that’s found global appeal
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Body language experts assess Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul face-off, cite signs of intimidation
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score today? Rookie's minutes limited with playoffs looming
- Western nations were desperate for Korean babies. Now many adoptees believe they were stolen
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Apple releases AI software for a smarter Siri on the iPhone 16
- Midwest States Struggle to Fund Dam Safety Projects, Even as Federal Aid Hits Historic Highs
- Jeopardy! Contestant Father Steve Jakubowski Is the Internet’s New “Hot Priest”
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Trump Media plummets to new low on the first trading day the former president can sell his shares
'SNL' taps Ariana Grande, Chappell Roan, Billie Eilish, John Mulaney for Season 50 lineup
Board approves more non-lethal weapons for UCLA police after Israel-Hamas war protests
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Young students protest against gun violence at Georgia Senate meeting
The cause of a fire that injured 2 people at a Louisiana chemical plant remains under investigation
An NYC laundromat stabbing suspect is fatally shot by state troopers