Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -ProfitSphere Academy
NovaQuant-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:58:05
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have NovaQuantagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (2697)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- A controversial idea at the heart of Bidenomics
- Ben Affleck's Dunkin' Super Bowl commercial leads to limited-edition Funko Pop figures
- Beyoncé's use of Black writers, musicians can open the door for others in country music
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Jimmy Butler ejected after Miami Heat, New Orleans Pelicans brawl; three others tossed
- Amy Schumer Shares Cushing Syndrome Diagnosis After Drawing Speculation Over Her Puffier Face
- State police: Officers shoot, kill man who fired at them during domestic violence call
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- When do South Carolina polls open and close for the 2024 primary? Key times for today's Republican vote
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Federal judge grants injunction in Tennessee lawsuit against the NCAA which freezes NIL rules
- Bachelor Nation’s Jared Haibon and Pregnant Ashley Iaconetti Reveal Sex of Baby No. 2
- 2 Americans believed dead after escapees apparently hijack yacht, Grenada police say
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Rangers' Matt Rempe, Flyers' Nicolas Deslauriers get into lengthy NHL fight
- Nicholas Jordan, student charged in fatal Colorado shooting, threatened roommate over trash
- LA Dodgers' 2024 hype hits fever pitch as team takes field for first spring training games
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Some Arizona customers to see monthly fees increase for rooftop solar, advocates criticize rate hike
My 8-year-old daughter got her first sleepover invite. There's no way she's going.
Indiana teacher found dead in school stairwell after failing to show for pickup by relative
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Boyfriend of Ksenia Khavana, Los Angeles ballet dancer detained in Russia, speaks out
RHOA's Porsha Williams and Simon Guobadia Break Up After 15 Months of Marriage
The 2004 SAG Awards Are a Necessary Dose of Nostalgia