Current:Home > StocksPrince Harry due back in U.K. court as phone hacking case against tabloids resumes -ProfitSphere Academy
Prince Harry due back in U.K. court as phone hacking case against tabloids resumes
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:32:35
London — Prince Harry is expected to testify in a U.K. court this week as the trial continues in his case against Britain's Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN). It is the first of three cases Harry is involved in against U.K. tabloids, which the prince alleges spied on him for scoops. His court appearance and cross examination will be the first in modern times for a senior member of Britain's royal family.
The suit, involving test cases from Harry and three other well-known British claimants, alleges that journalists working for MGN gathered information about the prince unlawfully, including by hacking into voicemails. It involves 207 newspaper articles published between 1991 and 2011.
Harry had been instructed to attend Monday's court proceedings, The Associated Press reported, but was not there. The AP quoted the prince's lawyer as saying Harry had flown out Sunday from Los Angeles, where he lives with his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and their children, after celebrating his daughter's birthday, and that he was scheduled to testify on Tuesday.
The judge, Justice Timothy Fancourt, told the court that he was "a little surprised" by Harry's absence on the first day of his case. The lawyer representing MGN said he was "deeply troubled" by the prince's non-appearance.
Harry's legal team had initially pointed to 144 newspaper articles that they said used unlawfully gathered information about him, but only 33 of those articles will be considered in the case resuming this week.
The claimants argue that senior executives, including Piers Morgan — who edited the Daily Mirror newspaper from 1995 to 2004 — knew of the illegal activities. Morgan has denied any knowledge of illegal activities.
MGN has previously admitted that phone hacking took place at its tabloids and has settled hundreds of claims, CBS News partner network BBC News reports. Its lawyer denies, however, that 28 of the articles referenced in this case involving Harry used unlawfully-gathered information. MGN's lawyer said the group had "not admitted" that the other five articles involved unlawful information gathering, according to the BBC.
In separate cases, Harry is also suing News Group Newspapers, publisher of The Sun tabloid, for alleged hacking, and he is one of several people suing The Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday for alleged unlawful intrusion.
- In:
- British Royal Family
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
- United Kingdom
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (5447)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Maryland cuts $1.3B in 6-year transportation draft plan
- Browns sign 20-year stadium rights deal with Huntington Bank as they position for possible new home
- Prosecutors drop fraud case against Maryland attorney
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- How Hailey Bieber's Rhode Beauty Reacted to Influencer's Inclusivity Critique
- Nearly 50 years after being found dead in a Pennsylvania cave, ‘Pinnacle Man’ is identified
- Man killed after allegedly shooting at North Dakota officers following chase
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- The Latest: Presidential campaigns begin sprint to election day
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hands Down
- This Fall, Hollywood tries to balance box office with the ballot box
- Nearly 50 years after being found dead in a Pennsylvania cave, ‘Pinnacle Man’ is identified
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- The Latest: Presidential campaigns begin sprint to election day
- Missouri officer dies after crashing into a tree during high speed chase
- Pregnant Cardi B Shuts Down Speculation She Shaded Nicki Minaj With Maternity Photos
Recommendation
2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
How many points did Caitlin Clark score today? Rookie sparks Indiana Fever's comeback win
George and Amal Clooney walk red carpet with Brad Pitt and Ines de Ramon
Coco Gauff's US Open defeat shows she has much work to do to return to Grand Slam glory
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
4-year-old boy fatally shot inside a St. Louis house with no adults present
Southeast South Dakota surges ahead of Black Hills in tourism revenue
Browns sign 20-year stadium rights deal with Huntington Bank as they position for possible new home