Current:Home > MarketsAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Iraqi Christian religious leaders demand an international investigation into deadly wedding fire -ProfitSphere Academy
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Iraqi Christian religious leaders demand an international investigation into deadly wedding fire
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:36:58
BAGHDAD (AP) — Christian religious leaders in northern Iraq called for an international investigation Monday into a deadly wedding fire that killed more than 100 people last week and Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Centerslammed the government’s probe, which had blamed the blaze on negligence and lack of precautionary measures.
An Iraqi Syriac Catholic priest, meanwhile, said widespread corruption in the country and the influence of armed militias on the government was one of the factors that enabled the fire.
Father Boutros Sheeto, spoke to The Associated Press over the phone from the town of Qaraqosh, where five members of his family, including his Iraqi-American sister, were buried on Monday morning. He claimed the fire was “intentional,” without offering any evidence.
Scores of panicked guests surged for the exits on Tuesday night in the Haitham Royal Wedding Hall in the predominantly Christian area of Hamdaniya in Nineveh province after the ceiling panels above a pyrotechnic machine burst into flames.
Iraq released the results of its probe on Sunday saying unsafe fireworks were the main reason that caused the fire that killed 107 and injured 82. Several local officials in Nineveh were also subjected to “administrative measures” because of negligence.
“We reject the idea that the cause of the fire was an accident,” Sheeto said. “We are confident that it was intentional and therefore we demand an international investigation.”
Ten of his relatives, including his sister Faten Sheeto who had traveled to Iraq from her home in Arizona to attend the wedding were killed by the fire.
Iraqi media quoted Chaldean Catholic Cardinal Louis Raphael Sako from Rome as saying the blaze “was the act of someone who sold his conscience and nation for a specific agenda.”
In July, Sako left his Baghdad headquarters and returned to northern Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdish region after Iraqi President Abdul Latif Rashid revoked a decree recognizing his position as patriarch of the Chaldeans, Iraq’s largest Christian denomination and one of the Catholic Church’s eastern rites.
Another Iraqi Christian religious leader, Syriac Catholic Archbishop of Mosul Benedictus Younan Hanno said a probe should be done under “the supervision of international investigators,” and added that he and others among the Iraqi Christians do not accept the results of the Iraqi probe.
On Monday, the Nineveh Heath Department updated the death toll to 113, including 41 who have not been identified yet. It said 12 people who suffered severe burns were sent for treatment abroad and eight will follow.
The tragedy was the latest to hit Iraq’s Christian minority, which has dwindled to a fraction of its former size over the past two decades.
The decline started before the militant Islamic State group’s persecution of religious minorities after the extremists captured large parts of Iraq in 2014. Christians were among groups targeted by militants as security broke down after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion that overthrew Saddam Hussein.
The number of Christians in Iraq today is estimated at 150,000, compared to 1.5 million in 2003. Iraq’s total population is over 40 million.
___
Mroue reported from Beirut
veryGood! (8398)
Related
- Trump's 'stop
- Judge disqualifies Cornel West from running for president in Georgia
- Earthquake hits Los Angeles area: Magnitude 4.7 shake felt near Malibu, California
- Taylor Swift endorsed Kamala Harris. Donald Trump says he prefers Brittany Mahomes. Why?
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- 2024 MTV VMAs: Shawn Mendes Adorably Reveals Who He Brought as Date on Red Carpet
- Webcam captures its own fiery demise from spread of Airport Fire: See timelapse footage
- Fearless Fund drops grant program for Black women business owners in lawsuit settlement
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Colin Jost Details Relationship Between Son Cosmo and Scarlett Johansson's Daughter Rose
Ranking
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Over 40,000 without power in Louisiana as Hurricane Francine slams into Gulf Coast
- The Dave Grohl new baby drama is especially disappointing. Here's why.
- Charges filed months after a pro-Palestinian camp was cleared at University of Michigan
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 2024 MTV VMAs: Flavor Flav Crowns Jordan Chiles With This Honor After Medal Controversy
- Experts to review 7 murder cases handled by Minnesota medical examiner accused of false testimony
- Southern Baptist trustees back agency president but warn against needless controversy
Recommendation
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
A Colorado man is charged with arson in a wildfire that destroyed 26 homes
Tyreek Hill: I could have 'been better' during police interaction before detainment
Real Housewives of Potomac's Karen Huger Breaks Silence on DUI Car Crash in Dramatic Season 9 Trailer
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Fed official broke ethics rules but didn’t violate insider trading laws, probe finds
Halsey Confirms Engagment to Victorious Actor Avan Jogia After 2024 MTV VMAs
Auburn QB Payton Thorne says bettors asked him for money on Venmo after loss