Current:Home > reviewsTradeEdge Exchange:Washington and Baghdad plan to hold talks soon to end presence of US-led coalition in Iraq -ProfitSphere Academy
TradeEdge Exchange:Washington and Baghdad plan to hold talks soon to end presence of US-led coalition in Iraq
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 07:39:34
WASHINGTON (AP) — The TradeEdge ExchangeUnited States and Iraq expect to begin formal talks soon to wind down the mission of a U.S.-led military coalition formed to fight the Islamic State group in Iraq, both governments said Thursday.
The U.S. has had a continuous presence in Iraq since its 2003 invasion. Although all U.S. combat forces left in 2011, thousands of troops returned in 2014 to help the government of Iraq defeat IS.
In the years since, the presence of U.S. forces, who have remained there to conduct counter-IS missions and training, has been a lightning rod for an increasingly influential faction of Iran-aligned militias and politicians in the country.
In a statement, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said the discussions will take place as part of a higher military commission that was agreed upon last summer — before the outbreak of the Israel-Hamas war on Oct. 7 rocked the region — and will discuss the “transition to an enduring bilateral security partnership between Iraq and the United States.”
Iraq’s foreign ministry in a statement said Baghdad aims to “formulate a specific and clear timetable that specifies the duration of the presence of international coalition advisors in Iraq” and to “initiate the gradual and deliberate reduction of its advisors on Iraqi soil,” eventually leading to the end of the coalition mission and a “move to comprehensive bilateral political and economic relations with the coalition countries.”
It added that Iraq is committed to ensuring the “safety of the international coalition’s advisors during the negotiation period in all parts of the country” and to “maintaining stability and preventing escalation.”
Iraqi officials have periodically called for a withdrawal of coalition forces for years, particularly in the wake of a U.S. airstrike in January 2020 that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani and Iraqi militia leader Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis outside the Baghdad airport.
The issue has surfaced again since Israel launched its major counteroffensive in Gaza following the Oct. 7 Hamas-led attack in southern Israel.
Since mid-October, a group of Iran-backed militias calling itself the Islamic Resistance in Iraq have launched regular attacks on U.S. forces in Iraq and Syria, which the group said are in retaliation for Washington’s support for Israel in the war in Gaza.
Those estimated 2,500 U.S. troops and the bases they serve on have drawn more than 150 missile and drone attacks fired by the militias. Scores of U.S. personnel have received minor injuries including traumatic brain injuries during the attacks.
The U.S. has struck militia targets in return, including some linked to the Popular Mobilization Forces, a coalition of mainly Shiite, Iran-backed paramilitary groups that is officially under the control of the Iraqi military although in practice it largely operates on its own. Iraqi officials have complained that the U.S. strikes are a violation of Iraqi sovereignty.
Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos earlier this month, Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani said that there is no longer justification for the coalition’s presence in Iraq and that the Iraqi army is capable of tracking and fighting the remaining IS cells in the country.
“We are a sovereign country, and therefore it is only natural that we moved towards this position,” he said. “This is a request from the people, and this is a democratic country.”
An Iraqi government official who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to journalists about the matter said that Iraq had sent a written request for the withdrawal of the coalition forces to the White House in November 2023.
The official said that Iraqi and U.S. officials were at odds over the timeline, with U.S. officials proposing a two- to five-year timeline while the Iraqis wanted a more immediate withdrawal.
The announcement of impending talks on an end to the mission is likely to be claimed as a victory by Iran-linked factions in Iraq.
A U.S. defense official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss details of the discussions said the U.S. and Iraq have been “discussing this for months and the “timing is not related to recent attacks.” The U.S. will maintain the “full right of self-defense” during the talks, he said.
Even if U.S. forces leave bases in federal Iraq, they would likely remain in the semi-autonomous northern Kurdish region, whose government has closer ties to Washington.
___
Abdul-Zahra reported from Baghdad. Associated Press writer Abby Sewell in Beirut contributed to this report.
veryGood! (92827)
Related
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Lost Your Keys Again? Get 35% off Tile Bluetooth Trackers
- Chiefs signing Hollywood Brown in move to get Patrick Mahomes some wide receiver help
- Biden backs Schumer after senator calls for new elections in Israel
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Outdoor Voices closing its stores. Activewear retailer reportedly plans online move
- Starbucks faces lawsuit for tacking on charge for nondairy milk in drinks
- Cable TV providers will have to show total cost of subscriptions, FCC says
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Alec Baldwin asks judge to dismiss involuntary manslaughter charge in Rust shooting
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- The Best Cooling Sheets to Keep You Comfy & Sweat-Free, All Night Long
- General Hospital Actress Robyn Bernard Found Dead in Open Field
- Brittany Cartwright Reveals How Getting Facial Liposuction Negatively Affected Her Appearance
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- White House encourages House GOP to ‘move on’ from Biden impeachment effort
- Gerrit Cole injury update: Yankees breathe sigh of relief on Cy Young winner's elbow issue
- Apple to pay $490 million to settle allegations that it misled investors about iPhone sales in China
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Inside Bachelor Alum Hannah Ann Sluss’ Bridal Shower Before Wedding to NFL’s Jake Funk
Dog-killing flatworm parasite discovered in new state as scientists warn of spread West
Kelly Clarkson shocks Jimmy Fallon with 'filthy' Pictionary drawing: 'Badminton!'
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Meet John Cardoza: The Actor Stepping Into Ryan Gosling's Shoes for The Notebook Musical
Lyft and Uber say they will leave Minneapolis after city council forces them to pay drivers more
50 killed in anti-sorcery rituals after being forced to drink mysterious liquid, Angola officials say