Current:Home > reviewsCrews begin demolishing Texas church where gunman killed more than two dozen in 2017 -ProfitSphere Academy
Crews begin demolishing Texas church where gunman killed more than two dozen in 2017
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:50:43
SUTHERLAND SPRING, Texas (AP) — Crews started Monday to tear down a Texas church where a gunman killed more than two dozen worshippers in 2017, using heavy machinery to raze the small building after some families had sought to preserve the scene of the deadliest church shooting in U.S. history.
A judge cleared the way last month for First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs to tear down the sanctuary where the attack took place.
The church until now had kept the sanctuary as a memorial. Members of First Baptist voted in 2021 to tear down the building over the protests of some in the small community.
Authorities put the number of dead in the Nov. 5, 2017, shooting at 26 people, including a pregnant woman and her unborn baby.
A new church was completed for the congregation about a year and a half after the shooting.
Earlier this summer, a Texas judge granted a temporary restraining order sought by some families. But another judge later denied a request to extend that order, setting in motion the demolition. In court filings, attorneys for the church called the structure a “constant and very painful reminder.”
The man who opened fire in the church, Devin Patrick Kelley, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after he was chased by bystanders and crashed his car. Investigators have said the shooting appeared to stem from a domestic dispute involving Kelley and his mother-in-law, who sometimes attended services at the church but was not present on the day of the shooting.
Communities across the U.S. have grappled with what should happen to the sites of mass shootings. Last month, demolition began on the three-story building where 17 people died in the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. After the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, it was torn down and replaced.
___
Stengle reported from Dallas.
veryGood! (15931)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 'Who TF Did I Marry': How Reesa Teesa's viral story on ex-husband turned into online fame
- Sen. Mitch McConnell's retirement raises question: When is the right time to step back?
- Humorously morose comedian Richard Lewis, who recently starred on ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm,’ dies at 76
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Woman files lawsuit against Tyreek Hill for 'violently' charging at her, per report
- How many people voted in the 2024 Michigan primary? Here's voter turnout data for the 2024 race
- Plumbing problems, travel trouble and daycare drama: Key takeaways from NFLPA team report cards
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- New York AG says meat producing giant made misleading environmental claims to boost sales
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Cyndi Lauper inks deal with firm behind ABBA Voyage for new immersive performance project
- A former Georgia police officer and a current one are indicted in a fatal November 2022 shooting
- Caitlin Clark and her achievements stand on their own. Stop comparing her to Pistol Pete
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Why Josh Brolin Regrets S--tting on This Movie He Did
- Get a $1,071 HP Laptop for $399, 59% off Free People, 72% off Kate Spade & More Leap Day Deals
- Cam Newton remains an All-Pro trash talker, only now on the 7-on-7 youth football circuit
Recommendation
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
Texas border cities offer Biden and Trump different backdrops for dueling visits
Andy Reid tops NFL coach rankings in players' survey, Josh McDaniels finishes last
Report: Chiefs release WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, save $12 million in cap space
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
What we know about 'Only Murders in the Building' Season 4
Republicans block Senate bill to protect nationwide access to IVF treatments
Wind advisories grip the Midwest as storms move east after overnight tornado warnings