Current:Home > ScamsUN food agency stops deliveries to millions in Yemen areas controlled by Houthi rebels -ProfitSphere Academy
UN food agency stops deliveries to millions in Yemen areas controlled by Houthi rebels
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:59:23
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The United Nations food agency said Tuesday it is stopping food distribution in areas of war-torn Yemen controlled by the Houthi rebels, a move that will impact millions of people.
The World Food Program said the “pause” was driven by limited funding and the lack of agreement with the rebel authorities on downscaling the program to match the agency’s resources.
“This difficult decision, made in consultation with donors, comes after nearly a year of negotiations, during which no agreement was reached to reduce the number of people served from 9.5 million to 6.5 million,” WFP said in a statement.
U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said WFP has tried unsuccessfully “to establish a system that is safe and accountable for the aid going through” to the rebel-held areas.
The war in Yemen has raged for eight years between the Iran-backed Houthis and pro-government forces, backed by a coalition of Gulf Arab states. The Houthis swept down from the mountains in 2014, seized much of northern Yemen and the country’s capital, Sanaa, and forced the internationally recognized government to flee into exile to Saudi Arabia. Since then, more than 150,000 people have been killed by the violence and 3 million have been displaced.
The WFP announcement came as the Houthis have unleashed attacks on ships in the Red Sea, imperiling traffic along one of the world’s most vital shipping lanes, critical to global trade. The Houthis support the Palestinian militant Hamas group and the attacks are linked to the ongoing Israeli-Hamas war.
WFP said food stocks in Houthi-controlled areas “are now almost completely depleted and resuming food assistance, even with an immediate agreement, could take up to as long as four months due to the disruption of the supply chain.”
The Rome-based U.N. agency said it will continue its other programs, such as nutrition and school feeding projects, to limit the impact of the pause in food distributions. In government-controlled areas of Yemen, WFP said general food distribution will continue “with a heightened focus on the most vulnerable families.”
“Similar prioritization is taking place in nearly half of WFP’s operations around the world as the agency navigates the challenging financial landscape that the entire humanitarian sector is facing,” the agency said.
At the end of October, WFP and the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization warned that acute food insecurity is likely to deteriorate further in Yemen through April 2024. It called for urgent and scaled-up assistance to Yemen and 17 other “hunger hotspots” to protect livelihoods and increase access to food.
veryGood! (93)
Related
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Trevor Lawrence leaves Jacksonville Jaguars' MNF game with ankle injury
- The fourth GOP debate will be a key moment for the young NewsNation cable network
- Florida State beats Stanford for its fourth women’s soccer national championship
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- What we know about CosMc's, McDonald's nostalgic spin-off coming to some cities in 2024
- Tokyo Olympics sullied by bid-rigging, bribery trials more than 2 years after the Games closed
- These 40 Holiday Gifts From Kardashian-Jenner Brands Will Make You Say You're Doing Amazing, Sweetie
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Reported cancellation of Virginia menorah lighting draws rebuke from governor
Ranking
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Older Voters Are Second Only to Young People in Share of ’Climate Voters,’ New Study Shows
- Doug Burgum ends 2024 presidential campaign
- Allison Williams' new podcast revisits the first murder trial in U.S. history: A test drive for the Constitution
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Tyler Goodson, Alabama man featured in 'S-Town' podcast, shot to death during police standoff
- Woman killed in shark attack while swimming with young daughter off Mexico's Pacific coast
- Dolphins' Tua Tagovailoa reveals strategy on long TD passes to blazing fast Tyreek Hill
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Texas prosecutor drops most charges against Austin police over tactics used during 2020 protests
CVS Health lays out changes to clarify prescription drug pricing that may save some customers money
Tom Holland Shares What He Appreciates About Girlfriend Zendaya
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
U.S. assisting Israel to find intelligence gaps prior to Oct. 7 attack, Rep. Mike Turner says
Jonathan Majors assault trial starts with competing versions of a backseat confrontation
Biden is spending most of the week raising money at events with James Taylor and Steven Spielberg