Current:Home > MyChainkeen|Vance and Walz agree to a vice presidential debate on Oct. 1 hosted by CBS News -ProfitSphere Academy
Chainkeen|Vance and Walz agree to a vice presidential debate on Oct. 1 hosted by CBS News
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:32:47
▶ Follow the AP’s live coverage of the 2024 election
COLUMBIA,Chainkeen S.C. (AP) — Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Ohio Sen. JD Vance have agreed to debate each other on Oct. 1, setting up a matchup of potential vice presidents as early voting in some states gets underway for the general election.
And Vice President Kamala Harris has forecast the scheduling of a second debate between Donald Trump and herself, although that matchup appeared to be contingent on the GOP nominee participating in an already scheduled Sept. 10 debate with Harris.
CBS News on Wednesday posted on its X feed that the network had invited both Vance and Walz to debate in New York City, presenting four possible dates — Sept. 17, Sept. 24, Oct. 1 and Oct. 8 — as options.
Walz reposted that message from his own campaign account, “See you on October 1, JD.” The Harris-Walz campaign followed up with a message of its own, saying Walz “looks forward to debating JD Vance — if he shows up.”
Vance posted on X that he would accept the Oct. 1 invitation. He also challenged Walz to meet on Sept. 18.
Officials with the Harris-Walz campaign did not immediately return a message seeking comment on Vance’s acceptance of the earlier debate that he said would be on CNN or whether Walz would participate in that one as well.
Representatives for CNN confirmed that Vance had accepted the network’s debate invitation.
“CBS Evening News” anchor Norah O’Donnell and Margaret Brennan of “Face the Nation” will moderate the Oct. 1 debate, according to the network.
Whether or not Walz and Vance would debate before the Nov. 5 general election had been in question. In just the past several weeks, President Joe Biden left the campaign and Democrats selected Harris to lead their ticket.
Vance has largely kept his focus trained on Harris, whom he would have been set to debate before Biden’s departure from the race. Vance has lobbed critiques against Walz, including questioning the retired Army National Guardsman’s service record.
Trump has said he wanted Vance to debate Walz on CBS, which had been discussing potential dates for that meeting.
The debate is expected weeks after the Sept. 10 top-of-the-ticket debate recently solidified between Trump and Harris on ABC News.
Trump has said he negotiated several other debate dates, on three different networks. Fox News has also proposed a debate between Harris and Trump to take place on Sept. 4, and NBC News is angling to air one on Sept. 25.
During an appearance in Michigan, Harris said she was “happy to have that conversation” about an additional debate.
On Thursday, Harris’ campaign said Trump had “accepted our proposal for three debates,” meaning one between the vice presidential running mates, in addition to two presidential debates. Provided that Trump follows through on participating in the Sept. 10 CBS debate, Harris-Walz spokesperson Michael Tyler said that “the American people will have another opportunity” to see the vice president and Donald Trump on the debate stage in October,” without mentioning a specific date or network.
Neither campaign immediately responded to a message seeking comment on whether a date or network had been agreed to for a second presidential debate.
___
Meg Kinnard can be reached at http://x.com/MegKinnardAP ___
AP Media writer David Bauder in New York contributed to this report.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Sam Bankman-Fried found guilty in FTX crypto fraud case
- Selling Sunset's Bre Tiesi Reveals Where Her Relationship With Nick Cannon Really Stands
- Ben Simmons - yes, that Ben Simmons - is back. What that means for Nets
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Palestinian-American mother and her children fleeing Israel-Hamas war finally get through Rafah border crossing
- A gas explosion at a building north of New York City injures 10
- War in the Middle East upends the dynamics of 2024 House Democratic primaries
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 2 killed as flooding hits Kenya, sweeping away homes and destroying roads, officials say
Ranking
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- If you think you are hidden on the internet, think again! Stalk yourself to find out
- Fact checking 'Priscilla': Did Elvis and Priscilla Presley really take LSD together?
- Kate Spade Flash Deal: Get This $459 Shearling Tote for Just $137
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- AP PHOTOS: Scenes of pain and destruction endure in week 4 of the latest Israel-Gaza conflict
- 5 Things podcast: Israel says Gaza City surrounded, Sam Bankman-Fried has been convicted
- New Delhi shuts schools and limits construction work to reduce severe air pollution
Recommendation
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
UAE-based broadcaster censors satiric ‘Last Week Tonight’ over Saudi Arabia and Khashoggi killing
3 expert tips to fall back for daylight saving time 2023 without getting seasonal affective disorder
E-cigarette and tobacco use among high school students declines, CDC study finds
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Third suspect surrenders over Massachusetts shooting blamed for newborn baby’s death
Victor Wembanyama has arrived: No. 1 pick has breakout game with 38 points in Spurs' win
Employee at Wendy's in Kentucky saves customer's life, credits CPR for life-saving action