Current:Home > MyA voter’s challenge to having Trump’s name on North Carolina’s primary ballot has been dismissed -ProfitSphere Academy
A voter’s challenge to having Trump’s name on North Carolina’s primary ballot has been dismissed
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 09:43:29
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s election board threw out on Tuesday a voter’s challenge to keep former President Donald Trump off the March presidential primary ballots that argues that the Constitution disqualifies Trump because of his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
The State Board of Elections, composed of three Democrats and two Republicans, voted 4-1 to dismiss the candidate challenge made by Brian Martin, of Stokes County. The majority determined that it lacked the authority in state law to consider such a challenge. The rejection of the challenge could be appealed to state court.
Martin, a business consultant and retired lawyer, wrote that Trump wasn’t qualified to be president because he violated a section of the 14th Amendment that bars from office anyone who once took an oath to uphold the Constitution but then “engaged” in “insurrection or rebellion” against it. The provision was used primarily after the Civil War to keep former confederates out of government.
Trump opponents argue the section applies to the ex-president for his part in trying to overturn the 2020 presidential election and encouraging his backers to storm the U.S. Capitol. Lawsuits in other states seeking to keep him off the ballot have been unsuccessful.
Board members said Tuesday that the ruling didn’t prevent someone from trying to challenge Trump’s candidacy for the general election should he win the GOP nomination, WRAL-TV reported. Siobhan Millen, a Democrat and the lone vote against dismissing the challenge, said the board was “hiding behind a technicality” to avoid the issue now.
The dismissal came as the state board gave initial approval to names of the presidential candidates that will be on the March 5 primary ballots for the Democratic, Republican and Libertarian parties.
The board approved the candidates offered by party leaders earlier this month. The board will meet Jan. 2 to consider additional names before ballots are printed.
State law directed the parties earlier this month to provide lists that must have candidates “whose candidacy is generally advocated and recognized in the news media throughout the United States or in North Carolina.”
The state Democratic Party listed only President Joe Biden. Other announced candidates like U.S. Rep. Dean Phillips, D-Minn., and Marianne Williamson were omitted.
In addition to Trump, the state GOP’s letter identified Ryan Binkley, Chris Christie, Ron DeSantis, Nikki Haley, Asa Hutchinson and Vivek Ramaswamy. The Libertarian Party listed 10 names for their presidential primary ballot.
The Green Party and the No Labels Party also are official parties in North Carolina. They can offer presidential tickets in 2024 to place on the general election ballots.
veryGood! (96)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Man accused of bringing guns to Wisconsin Capitol now free on signature bond, can’t possess weapons
- Michigan lottery winners: Residents win $100,000 from Powerball and $2 million from scratch-off game
- Arizona’s Maricopa County has a new record for heat-associated deaths after the hottest summer
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Armed robbers target Tigers' Dominican complex in latest robbery of MLB facility in country
- Powerball winning numbers from Oct. 18 drawing: Jackpot at $70 million
- Electric truck maker Rivian says construction on first phase of Georgia factory will proceed in 2024
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Holiday Gifts Under $50 That It's Definitely Not Too Soon To Buy
Ranking
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Rite Aid plans to close 154 stores after bankruptcy filing. See if your store is one of them
- Security incident involving US Navy destroyer in Red Sea, US official says
- Mississippi man sentenced to 9 years in prison for attacking Capitol police on Jan. 6
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- MTV cancels EMAs awards show in Paris, citing Israel-Hamas war
- What could convince Egypt to take in Gaza's refugees?
- Georgia jobless rate ticks up, but labor market keeps setting records for numbers of jobs
Recommendation
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
UEFA-sanctioned soccer matches in Israel halted indefinitely amid Israel-Hamas war
Fake accounts, old videos, and rumors fuel chaos around Gaza hospital explosion
Arraignment delayed again for suspect charged with murdering Tupac Shakur
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Daddy Yankee's reggaeton Netflix show 'Neon' is an endless party
Former officer who shot Breonna Taylor points gun at suspect during arrest in new job
Civic group launches $4M campaign to boost embattled San Francisco ahead of global trade summit