Current:Home > NewsTradeEdge Exchange:Class-action lawsuit alleges unsafe conditions at migrant detention facility in New Mexico -ProfitSphere Academy
TradeEdge Exchange:Class-action lawsuit alleges unsafe conditions at migrant detention facility in New Mexico
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 07:35:47
SANTA FE,TradeEdge Exchange N.M. (AP) — A new class-action lawsuit alleges that U.S. immigration authorities disregarded signs of unsanitary and unsafe conditions at a detention center in New Mexico to ensure the facility would continue to receive public funding and remain open.
The lawsuit announced Wednesday by a coalition of migrants’ rights advocates was filed on behalf of four Venezuelans ranging in age from 26 to 40 who have sought asylum in the U.S. and say they were denied medical care, access to working showers and adequate food at the Torrance County Detention Facility, all while being pressed into cleaning duties, sometimes without compensation.
The detention center in the rural town of Estancia, about 200 miles (320 kilometers) from the Mexico border, is contracted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement to accommodate at least 505 adult male migrants at any time, though actual populations fluctuate.
Advocates have repeatedly alleged in recent years that the the facility has inadequate living conditions and there is limited access to legal counsel for asylum-seekers who cycle through. They have urged ICE to end its contract with a private detention operator, while calling on state lawmakers to ban local government contracts for migrant detention.
“The point is that ICE can’t turn a blind eye to conditions in detention facilities,” said Mark Feldman, senior attorney at the National Immigrant Justice Center, which is among those representing the plaintiffs. “They maintain congressionally mandated oversight responsibility over conditions wherever immigrants are detained.”
The detention center failed a performance evaluation in 2021, and the lawsuit alleges that ICE scrambled to avoid documentation of a second consecutive failure that might discontinue federal funding by endorsing a “deeply flawed, lax inspection” by an independent contractor.
The lawsuit says the agency disregarded contradictory findings by the Department of Homeland Security Inspector General and a contracting officer at ICE that suggested continued unhealthy conditions and staff shortages.
A spokesperson for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said Thursday that the agency does not comment on litigation. Last year Chief of Staff Jason Houser said ICE would continuously monitor the facility and noted that it stopped using the Etowah County Detention Center in Alabama when expectations there were not met.
CoreCivic, the private operator of Torrance County, had no immediate comment. The company has repeatedly disputed critical findings about operations at the facility and accused government watchdogs and advocacy groups of misrepresenting detention conditions.
As of September about 35,000 migrants were being held in ICE detention facilities across the U.S., while the agency monitors another 195,000 under alternatives to detention as they advance through immigration or removal proceedings, according to Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University.
The southern border region has struggled to cope with increasing numbers of migrants from South America who move quickly through the Darien Gap between Colombia and Panama before heading north.
The plaintiffs in the lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Albuquerque, are also represented by the ACLU, Innovation Law Lab and attorneys for Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan.
veryGood! (51)
Related
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- She bought a vase at Goodwill for $3.99. It was a rare piece that just sold at auction for more than $100,000.
- Cowboys can't be taken seriously as Super Bowl threat unless they fix one massive defect
- An airstrike likely carried out by Jordan’s air force targets drug dealers in Syria, reports say
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- NFL Week 15 winners, losers: Believe in the Browns?
- Lionel Messi to have Newell's Old Boys reunion with Inter Miami friendly in 2024
- Google's Android app store benefits from anticompetitive barriers, jury in Epic Games lawsuit says
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, first woman to sit on the Supreme Court, lies in repose
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Doctor who treated freed Hamas hostages describes physical, sexual and psychological abuse
- Trump lawyer testified in Nevada about fake elector plot to avoid prosecution, transcripts show
- Meta’s initial decisions to remove 2 videos of Israel-Hamas war reversed by Oversight Board
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Mariah Carey's final Christmas tour show dazzles with holiday hits, family festivities, Busta Rhymes
- Sudan’s conflict reaches a key city that had been a haven for many. Aid groups suspend work or flee
- France urges Lebanese leaders to work on bringing calm along the border with Israel
Recommendation
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
U.S. passport application wait times back to normal, State Department says
Why Mariah Carey and Boyfriend Bryan Tanaka Are Sparking Breakup Rumors
A group representing TikTok, Meta and X sues Utah over strict new limits on app use for minors
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
At least 12 killed in mass shooting at Christmas party in Mexico: When they were asked who they were, they started shooting
Anthony Edwards addresses text messages allegedly of him telling woman to 'get a abortion'
Bryant Gumbel on wrapping up HBO's Real Sports: I've kind of lived my fantasy life