Current:Home > StocksProsecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009 -ProfitSphere Academy
Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:42:26
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The local prosecutor and family of the victim are calling for a man’s murder conviction to be vacated after a review by the Minnesota attorney general concluded he’s innocent.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked a judge to vacate his conviction based on the report. On Monday, the Hennepin County attorney and Mickelson’s sisters said they support his release.
“It’s been 16 years, but I would rather have no conviction than the wrong conviction,” Mickelson’s sister Tina Rosebear said at a news conference.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she will dismiss charges against Barrientos-Quintana if the judge vacates his conviction.
Security footage placed Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
“Unfortunately, after Mr. Barrientos became a suspect in the shooting, the state’s investigation failed to seriously consider and rule out plausible alternative suspects,” a news release from the attorney general said.
Minneapolis police do not support Barrientos-Quintana’s bid for freedom.
Chief Brian O’Hara in a statement said he’s worried Barrientos-Quintana “will be set free based only on a reinterpretation of old evidence rather than the existence of any new facts.”
“I am confident our investigators acted with the utmost integrity and professionalism and followed all the evidence available to them using investigative best practices,” O’Hara said.
veryGood! (37954)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Putin to discuss Israel-Hamas war during a 1-day trip to Saudi Arabia and UAE
- Tyler Goodson, Alabama man featured in 'S-Town' podcast, shot to death during police standoff
- 12 books that NPR critics and staff were excited to share with you in 2023
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- US unveils global strategy to commercialize fusion as source of clean energy during COP28
- Teddi Mellencamp Fiercely Defends Kyle Richards Amid Costars' Response to Mauricio Umansky Split
- International Ice Hockey Federation makes neck guards mandatory after Adam Johnson death
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- At least 85 confirmed killed by Nigerian army drone attack, raising questions about such mistakes
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Target giving away $500 to 500 customers. Here's how you can have a chance to win.
- More than $980K raised for Palestinian student paralyzed after being shot in Vermont
- Search for missing hiker ends after Michigan nurse found dead near Calaveras County trail
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Israel strikes in and around Gaza’s second largest city in an already bloody new phase of the war
- Two Americans detained in Venezuela ask Biden to secure release as deadline passes
- US agency to watch unrecalled Takata inflators after one blows apart, injuring a driver in Chicago
Recommendation
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
In ‘Wonka,’ Timothée Chalamet finds a world of pure imagination
'Supernatural,' 'Doom Patrol' actor Mark Sheppard shares he had 'six massive heart attacks'
Gold reaches record high today near $2,100 per ounce. Here's what's behind the surge.
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Arizona replaces Purdue at No. 1 as USA TODAY Sports men's basketball poll is shuffled
Watch this mom's excitement over a special delivery: her Army son back from overseas
Large part of U.S. Osprey that crashed in Japan found with 5 more crew members' bodies inside