Current:Home > MarketsJury begins deliberating verdict in Jonathan Majors assault trial -ProfitSphere Academy
Jury begins deliberating verdict in Jonathan Majors assault trial
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 06:43:31
NEW YORK — A jury began deliberating Thursday whether Jonathan Majors is guilty of assault following a New York trial featuring clashing narratives about whether the rising Hollywood star was the aggressor or victim during a chaotic struggle with his then-girlfriend that began in the backseat of a car.
The criminal case has centered on allegations brought by Grace Jabbari, a 30-year-old British dancer, who said the "Creed III" actor struck her on the side of the head, twisted her arm behind her back and squeezed her finger until it broke during a dispute last spring.
In closing arguments that ended before lunch Thursday, Majors' lawyer portrayed Jabbari as a compulsive liar who concocted a story of an abusive relationship as revenge after catching her boyfriend of two years texting another woman.
The 34-year-old actor dabbed his eyes with a tissue as his attorney, Priya Chaudhry, implored the jury to "end this nightmare for Jonathan Majors."
Prosecutors, meanwhile, said the actor "struck a blow" to his partner's head that left her stunned in the backseat of a car. They said the assault was the latest escalation in Majors' repeated attempts to "exert control" over his girlfriend through both physical and emotional violence, citing a past instance in which he allegedly urged her not to seek medical attention for a head injury because it could "lead to an investigation."
Deliberations were set to resume Friday afternoon.
The verdict may have implications far outside the Manhattan courtroom. Prior to his arrest in March, Majors' "Kang the Conquerer" character was being set up as the next major supervillain in the Marvel universe. His prestige drama, "Magazine Dreams," was postponed from its scheduled release earlier this month.
The struggle in the back of the car was not captured on video. But in their closing arguments, each side furnished security footage depicting scenes leading up to and after the dispute that they said underscored their point.
In one video played repeatedly to jurors by the prosecution, Majors can be seen "manhandling" Jabbari outside the vehicle, lifting her off the ground and placing her in the backseat "as if she was a doll," according to Manhattan assistant district attorney Kelli Galaway.
Minutes later, footage showed Majors sprinting through the darkened streets of Lower Manhattan in an effort to evade Jabbari, who said she wanted details about the "romantic" text message she had seen on his phone. The video, according to the defense, served as proof that "Jonathan was trying to escape Grace and Grace kept attacking him."
After Majors had fled the scene, Jabbari followed a group of strangers she had met on the street to a dance club, where she could be seen on grainy security footage ordering shots and using her injured hand to hold a champagne glass and sign a check.
That footage, the defense argued, proved she was unharmed following the incident. But prosecutors countered that Jabbari had not discovered the extent of the injuries until the following morning – at which point she sent photographs of her bruised hands and a cut to a friend.
"This is not a revenge plot to ruin the defendant's life or career," Galaway said. "What matters is what happened in the car that night."
Jonathan Majors:Actor's text messages, audio recordings to ex-girlfriend unsealed in assault trial
Jonathan Majors' trial:Photos, recordings in alleged assault of ex Grace Jabbari unsealed
veryGood! (15)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Legal challenge to dethrone South Africa’s Zulu king heads to court
- Neymar in tears while being carted off after suffering apparent knee injury
- Texas Continues to Issue Thousands of Flaring Permits
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- These House Republicans voted against Jim Jordan's speaker bid in the first round
- Amazon will start testing drones that will drop prescriptions on your doorstep, literally
- Remains found in 1996 near Indianapolis identified as 9th presumed victim of long-dead suspect
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Lower house of Russian parliament votes to revoke ratification of global nuclear test ban
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Malaysia says landslide that killed 31 people last year was caused by heavy rain, not human activity
- US men's national soccer team friendly vs. Ghana: Live stream and TV info, USMNT roster
- 'Good weekend' for Cowboys: Dallas survives 'must-win' game after losses by 49ers, Eagles
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Police fatally shoot armed fugitive who pointed gun at them, authorities say
- Manhunt enters second day for 4 Georgia jail escapees. Here's what to know.
- DOJ launches civil rights probe after reports of Trenton police using excessive force
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Colorado teens accused of taking ‘memento’ photo after rock-throwing death set to appear in court
2 foreign tourists and their Ugandan guide killed in attack near Uganda’s popular national park
Ex-Oregon prison nurse convicted of sexually assaulting women in custody gets 30 years
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Travis Kelce 'thrilled' to add new F1 investment with Patrick Mahomes to spicy portfolio
Israeli military faces challenging urban warfare in Gaza
Police fatally shoot armed fugitive who pointed gun at them, authorities say