Current:Home > StocksNaomi Campbell Banned as Charity Trustee for 5 Years After Spending Funds on Hotels, Spas and Cigarettes -ProfitSphere Academy
Naomi Campbell Banned as Charity Trustee for 5 Years After Spending Funds on Hotels, Spas and Cigarettes
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:36:10
It would appear that Naomi Campbell has displayed some less than model behavior.
The acclaimed supermodel has been disqualified from any charity involvement in England and Wales for the next five years after it was found that Fashion for Relief—a charity organization she helped found in 2005—had been misappropriating funds.
A Sept. 26 inquiry by the Charity Commission for England and Wales confirmed that there were "multiple instances of misconduct and / or mismanagement" by Campbell, as well as her fellow trustees, Bianka Hellmich and Veronica Chou, who have also been banned from charitable works for nine years and four years, respectively.
The Commission found that "between April 2016 and July 2022, only 8.5 percent of the charity's overall expenditure was on charitable grants," and noted that in May 2018, the trustees spent €14,800 (about $19,800) on a flight from London to Nice for a fundraising event, according to the decision shared on their public website. During that trip, the inquiry stated Campbell also used the charity's funds to spend €9,400 (about $12,500) on hotel accommodations, as well as an additional €7,939.75 (about $10,700)—paid for by the charity—on "spa treatments, room service, and the purchase of cigarettes and hotel products."
Fashion for Relief's trustees told the commission in the inquiry that the hotel and travel expenses were considered a "cost-effective choice" and that the cost of the hotel was typically covered by a donor to the charity. However, the inquiry noted that, "No evidence was provided by the trustees to evidence such payments by the Donor and no corresponding credits to the charity, from the Donor, were identified from the Inquiry's review of the charity's financial records."
According to the Charity Commission, "Fashion for Relief, which has been removed from the register of charities, was set up for the purpose of poverty relief and advancing health and education by making grants to charities or other organisations and by giving resources directly to those affected."
The commission's inquiry also found that "unauthorised payments totalling £290,000 for consultancy services had been made to a trustee, Bianka Hellmich, which was in breach of the charity's constitution," although they did note in their decision that she had "proactively proposed repaying these funds" which amount to around $388,000.
As for Campbell, she has stated that she was "extremely concerned" by the findings.
"I was not in control of my charity," the 54-year-old told the Associated Press while being named a Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters at the French Ministry for Culture Sept. 26. "I put the control in the hands of a legal employer."
She added, "We are investigating to find out what and how, and everything I do and every penny I ever raised goes to charity."
E! News reached out to reps for Campbell, Hellmich and Chou for comment on the inquiry but has not heard back.
Fashion for Relief was dissolved and removed from the Register of Charities on March 15.
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (15)
Related
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Scores dead in Iran explosions at event honoring general killed by U.S. drone strike
- Baltimore celebrates historic 20% drop in homicides even as gun violence remains high
- With banku and jollof rice, Ghanian chef tries to break world cook-a-thon record
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Hezbollah fires rockets at Israel in ‘initial response’ to killing of top leader from allied Hamas
- Gigantic spider found in Australia, dubbed Hercules, is a record-setter
- Seizures may be cause of sudden unexplained death in children, study using video analysis finds
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Actor Christian Oliver and 2 young daughters killed in Caribbean plane crash
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Golden Bachelor's Theresa Nist Shakes Off Wardrobe Malfunction During Wedding to Gerry Turner
- FDA gives Florida green light to import drugs in bulk from Canada
- Milwaukee woman pleads guilty to homicide charges in crash that killed 5
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Selena Gomez's Eye Rolls and Everything Else to Love About Her Bond With Martin Short and Steve Martin
- The case of the serial sinking Spanish ships
- Golden Gate Bridge has safety nets to prevent jumping deaths after 87 years
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Woman critically injured after surviving plane crash in South Carolina: Authorities
Rachel Maddow and Bob Woodruff lend us some journalistic integrity
Suit challenges required minority appointments to Louisiana medical licensing board
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
The teacher shot by a 6-year-old still worries, a year later, about the other students in the room
Nigel Lythgoe Leaves So You Think You Can Dance Amid Paula Abdul’s Sexual Assault Lawsuit
Man who attacked Las Vegas judge in shocking video faces 13 new charges