Current:Home > reviewsNovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:California student charged with attempted murder in suspected plan to carry out high school shooting -ProfitSphere Academy
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:California student charged with attempted murder in suspected plan to carry out high school shooting
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 05:19:22
VICTORVILLE,NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center Calif. — An 18-year-old high school student has been arrested and charged after investigators discovered he was planning a school shooting in Southern California and researched police response times.
Sebastian Villasenor, of Eastvale, California, was charged Wednesday with multiple felony counts related to a planned attack on Ontario Christian High School in Ontario, California, a city about 46 miles east of Los Angeles, according to the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s Office. The charges include five counts of attempted murder and one count of attempting to make criminal threats.
Villasenor was arrested on Feb. 10 after a classmate reported that the teen "had been showing signs of being fixated on school shootings and had access to weapons," Ontario Police Chief Michael Lorenz said at a news conference Wednesday.
"Thanks to the swift and thorough response of the Ontario Police Department, and the bravery of the student who voiced concerns, tragedy was avoided and potentially lives were saved," the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s Office said in a news release.
Police chief: Student 'obsessed with our response times'
Investigators found that Villasenor, who has no prior criminal record, "had every intention of carrying out a school shooting at the Ontario Christian High School," according to Lorenz.
Lorenz added that the teen was "obsessed" with school shootings and police response times. He also researched tactical supplies and was in the process of choosing a date for his attack.
"He was so obsessed with our response times that he Google mapped how far it would be from the Ontario Police Department for our response time to the school," Lorenz said.
Investigators believe Villasenor may have been planning a shooting around April 20, which is the anniversary of the 1999 attack at Columbine High School in Colorado that left 15 people dead, including the two shooters.
Guns in America:In US, celebrations can quickly become tragedies when violence erupts
Investigators discovered arsenal of weapons in teen's home
While searching Villasenor’s home, Lorenz said authorities collected "numerous weapons," including seven rifles, two revolvers, a handgun, and a shotgun along with more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition.
Although Villasenor didn’t have a "hit list," Lorenz said further investigation led police to believe that he was focusing on five students as intended victims and “contemplated” a sixth victim, based on interviews regarding his social interactions with the students.
All the victims were students at Ontario Christian High School, according to Lorenz.
Investigators determined that Villasenor wasn’t “bullied or harassed” but had difficulties “forming relationships with other students and in his social interactions.” Villasenor is in custody at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga.
He is ineligible for bail, sheriff’s records show. He was arraigned Thursday and pleaded not guilty to all charges, according to the district attorney’s office.
Contributing: The Associated Press
Follow Rene Ray De La Cruz on X @DP_ReneDeLaCruz
veryGood! (479)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 15-year-old Virginia high school football player dies after collapsing during practice
- An industrial Alaska community near the Arctic Ocean hits an unusually hot 89 degrees this week
- Pregnant Cardi B Details Freak Accident That Nearly Left Her Paralyzed
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- France beats Germany 73-69 to advance to Olympic men’s basketball gold medal game
- Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone runs away with 400-meter hurdles gold, sets world record
- West Virginia corrections officers plead guilty to not intervening as colleagues fatally beat inmate
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Harris and Walz head to Arizona, where a VP runner-up could still make a difference
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Monarch Capital Institute's Core Blueprint: J. Robert Harris's Vision for Financial Excellence
- 2 arrested in suspected terrorist plot at Taylor Swift's upcoming concerts
- Fighting Father Time: LeBron James, Diana Taurasi still chasing Olympic gold
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- AP Week in Pictures: Global
- Average rate on a 30-year mortgage falls to 6.47%, lowest level in more than a year
- American Sam Watson sets record in the speed climb but it's not enough for Olympic gold
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Taylor Swift Terror Plot: Police Reveal New Details on Planned Concert Attack
Taylor Swift Terror Plot: Police Reveal New Details on Planned Concert Attack
Nevada governor releases revised climate plan after lengthy delay
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Tell Me Lies' Explosive Season 2 Trailer Is Here—And the Dynamics Are Still Toxic AF
In late response, Vatican ‘deplores the offense’ of Paris Olympics’ opening ceremony tableau
James Webb Telescope reveals mystery about the energy surrounding a black hole