Current:Home > NewsFirst refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh arrive in Armenia following Azerbaijan’s military offensive -ProfitSphere Academy
First refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh arrive in Armenia following Azerbaijan’s military offensive
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:19:06
YEREVAN, Armenia (AP) — The first refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh have arrived in Armenia, local officials reported Sunday, and more were expected to come after a 10-month blockade and a lightning military offensive this month that resulted in Azerbaijan reclaiming full control of the breakaway region.
Thousands of people were evacuated from cities and villages affected by the latest fighting and taken to a Russian peacekeepers’ camp in Nagorno-Karabakh.
The first group of about 30 people has arrived from Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia’s Syunik region, Karen Balyan, advisor to the Syunik governor, told Armenian media Sunday. Ethnic Armenian separatist authorities in Nagorno-Karabakh also announced that the Russian peacekeepers would accompany anyone who wanted to leave the region and go to Armenia.
At the same time, two dozen ambulances carried 23 people who sustained severe wounds during the two days of fighting that killed and injured scores of people out of Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia, the country’s Health Ministry said.
Nagorno-Karabakh is located in Azerbaijan and came under the control of ethnic Armenian forces, backed by the Armenian military, in separatist fighting that ended in 1994. During a six-week war in 2020, Azerbaijan took back parts of Nagorno-Karabak along with territory surrounding the region that Armenian forces had claimed during the earlier conflict.
A Russia-brokered armistice ended the war, and a contingent of about 2,000 Russian peacekeepers was sent to the region to monitor it. Parts of Nagorno-Karabakh that weren’t retaken by Azerbaijan remained under the control of the separatist authorities.
In December, Azerbaijan imposed a blockade of the only road connecting Nagorno-Karabakh with Armenia, alleging that the Armenian government was using the road for mineral extraction and illicit weapons shipments to the province’s separatist forces.
Armenia charged that the closure denied basic food and fuel supplies to Nagorno-Karabakh’s approximately 120,000 people. Azerbaijan rejected the accusation, arguing the region could receive supplies through the Azerbaijani city of Aghdam — a solution long resisted by Nagorno-Karabakh authorities, who called it a strategy for Azerbaijan to gain control of the region.
On Tuesday, Azerbaijan launched heavy artillery fire against ethnic Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh, who conceded to demands to lay down their arms that next day. Nagorno-Karabakh’s final status remains an open question, however, and is at the center of talks between the sides that began Thursday in the Azerbaijani city of Yevlakh.
As part of a cease-fire agreement reached last week, the separatist forces in Nagorno-Karabakh started surrendering tanks, air defense systems and other weapons to the Azerbaijani army. As of Sunday, the process of surrendering arms was still underway, the Azerbaijani military said.
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry said Sunday that disarmed and demobilized Armenian troops would be allowed to leave the region and go to Armenia.
___
Associated Press writer Dasha Litvinova in Tallinn, Estonia, and Aida Sultana in London contributed to this report.
veryGood! (953)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Shannen Doherty's Mom Rosa Speaks Out After Actress' Death
- Detroit judge who had teen handcuffed for sleeping temporarily removed from his docket
- Nevada gaming regulators accuse Resorts World casino of accommodating illegal gambling
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Groups opposed to gerrymandering criticize proposed language on Ohio redistricting measure
- Who Is Jana Duggar’s Husband Stephen Wissmann? Everything to Know About the Business Owner
- New Jersey governor’s former chief of staff to replace Menendez, but only until November election
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Police arrest 4 in killing of 'General Hospital' actor Johnny Wactor
Ranking
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Evers’ transportation secretary will resign in September to take job at UW-Madison
- Nordstrom Rack's Back-to-School Sale: Score Up to 82% Off Free People, Marc Jacobs & More Before It Ends
- As Sonya Massey's death mourned, another tragedy echoes in Springfield
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Did Dakota Johnson and Chris Martin Break Up? Here’s the Truth About Their Engagement
- 15-year-old who created soap that could treat skin cancer named Time's 2024 Kid of the Year
- Ohio deputy fired more than a year after being charged with rape
Recommendation
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Notre Dame suspends men's swimming team over gambling violations, troubling misconduct
AP Week in Pictures: Global
Federal court strikes down Missouri investment rule targeted at `woke politics’
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Saturday Night Live Alum Victoria Jackson Shares She Has Inoperable Tumor Amid Cancer Battle
The Nasdaq sell-off has accelerated, and history suggests it'll get even worse
Watch as the 1,064-HP 2025 Chevy Corvette ZR1 rips to 205 MPH