Current:Home > InvestSouth Korea’s defense chief vows retaliatory strikes on ‘heart and head’ of North Korea if provoked -ProfitSphere Academy
South Korea’s defense chief vows retaliatory strikes on ‘heart and head’ of North Korea if provoked
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:12:10
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea’s defense minister on Friday vowed massive retaliatory missile strikes on “the heart and head” of North Korea in the event of provocation, as the rivals escalate their rhetoric over their respective spy satellite launches in recent days.
The South Korean warning — unusually fiery rhetoric by Seoul directed at Pyongyang — came as the top security advisers from South Korea, the U.S. and Japan gathered in Seoul for talks to discuss North Korea’s evolving nuclear threats and other issues.
During a visit to the army’s missile strategic command, South Korean Defense Minister Shin Wonsik ordered command officers to maintain a readiness to fire precision-guided and powerful missiles at any time, according to his ministry.
Shin said the main role of the command is “lethally striking the heart and head of the enemy, though the types of its provocations can vary,” a ministry statement said.
Animosities between the two Koreas deepened after North Korea launched its first military reconnaissance satellite into space on Nov. 21 in violation of U.N. bans. South Korea, the U.S. and Japan strongly condemned the launch, viewing it as an attempt by the North to improve its missile technology as well as establish a space-surveillance system.
South Korea announced plans to resume front-line aerial surveillance in response. North Korea quickly retaliated by restoring border guard posts, according to Seoul officials. Both steps would breach a 2018 inter-Korean deal on easing front-line military tensions.
Last week, when South Korea also launched its first military spy satellite from California’s Vandenberg Space Force Base, North Korea slammed the U.S. for alleged double standards and warned of a possible grave danger to global peace.
In a statement Friday, Jo Chol Su, a senior North Korean Foreign Ministry official, said the North would make all available efforts to protect its national interests in the face of threats by hostile forces.
The national security advisers from South Korea, the U.S. and Japan are to hold their first trilateral meeting in six months in Seoul on Saturday.
Ahead of the three-way meeting, South Korean national security adviser Cho Tae-yong and his Japanese counterpart, Takeo Akiba, met bilaterally on Friday and reaffirmed a need to strengthen their cooperation with the U.S. to cope with with provocations by North Korea. Cho and U.S. national security adviser Jake Sullivan also met and affirmed that Seoul and Washington remain open to diplomacy with North Korea, according to South Korea’s presidential office.
Earlier Friday, South Korea’s Unification Ministry accused North Korea of property rights infringements by unilaterally using South Korean-owned equipment at a now-shuttered joint factory park in the North. The ministry also accused North Korea of dismantling the remains of a South Korean-built liaison office at the park that the North blew up during a previous period of tensions in 2020.
veryGood! (89)
Related
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Family of man who died after being tackled by mental crisis team sues paramedic, police officer
- What’s at stake in Trump’s hush-money criminal case? Judge to rule on key issues as trial date nears
- Valentine's Day dining deals: Restaurants, food spots have holiday specials to love
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Brand new 2024 Topps Series 1 baseball cards are a 'rebellion against monochrome'
- 'More optimistic': January CPI numbers show inflation still bugs consumers, but not as much
- Suspect captured in fatal shooting of Tennessee sheriff's deputy
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Here's what Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift said to each other after Super Bowl win
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- North Carolina tells nature-based therapy program to stop admissions during probe of boy’s death
- Nick and Aaron Carter's sister Bobbie Jean Carter's cause of death revealed: Reports
- Second new Georgia reactor begins splitting atoms in key step to making electricity
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Taylor Swift makes it to 2024 Super Bowl to cheer on Travis Kelce with guests Blake Lively, Ice Spice
- California may have to pay $300M for COVID-19 homeless hotel program after FEMA caps reimbursement
- Nick and Aaron Carter's sister Bobbie Jean Carter's cause of death revealed: Reports
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
1 person killed and 10 injured when vehicle crashes into emergency room in Austin, Texas
Judge allows freedom for elderly man serving life sentence
How to have 'Perfect Days' in a flawed world — this film embraces beauty all around
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Nick and Aaron Carter's sister Bobbie Jean Carter's cause of death revealed: Reports
So you think you know all about the plague?
Illegal border crossings from Mexico plunge after a record-high December, with fewer from Venezuela